Monday, April 6, 2009

And since I like them better, they are better.

Seth Godin is probably one of the most insightful marketing thinkers and writers that I have known.
And Below is one of his posts that simply spells out out what real life is really is.
And for me this simply screams " the baiscs, never forget the basics, always go back to the basics" and I have highlighted the phase the spells it out for me.

What does better mean?


Are zippers better?
For years, I always wore jeans with a zipper. After all, zippers are better. They're faster and easier and they do what they're told. What an amazing invention! How did we survive without zippers?
Last year, just for kicks, I bought a pair of jeans with a button fly. Middle age crisis, I guess.
Now, that's all I wear. Buttons are better.
How can buttons be better? They're archaic. They take a long time. They're difficult.
Except that I like the way they look. And since I like them better, they are better.
This is a hard lesson for marketers, particularly technical marketers, to learn. You don't get to decide what's better. I do.
If you look at the decisions you've made about features, benefits, pricing, timing, hiring, etc., how many of them are obviously 'better' from your point of view, and how many people might disagree?
There are very few markets where majority rule is the best way to grow.

And the reminder "hard lesson for marketers"
Hard indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping By, Hope You Enjoyed Yourself, Learned or Discovered Something, Thanks for the Comment! Have A Nice Day!

ShareThis